concerning patchface,the drowned god, shireen, melisandre, the others, azor ahai reborn, etc.
LET’S TALK ABOUT PATCHFACE.
history: patchface was a jester slave in volantis, apparently very clever. steffon baratheon bought his freedom, and meant to bring him back to storm’s end after his trip to the free cities to find a wife for rhaegar. in steffon’s words: "perhaps in time he will even teach stannis how to laugh." this is where robert and stannis see their father’s ship, windproud, get wrecked, killing both steffon and his wife. there were no survivors — but, three days later, patchface was found with clammy cold skin, taken for dead until he coughed up water. the wreck had given him amnesia and ruined his mind. the smallfolk nearby have been known to say "a mermaid had taught him to breathe water in return for his seed." he was no longer known as a witty fool, but a twitchy, unstable man.
patchface literally drowned and was reborn as a new person. sound familiar? this is what aeron damphair claims to do to those willing to pledge their life to the drowned god. after the accident, much of what patchface says has to do with being under the sea. and then there are his prophecies:
- wherein patchface predicts renly’s death (wearing an outfit eerily similar to renly’s armor): “the shadows came to dance, my lord, dance my lord, dance my lord,” he sang, hopping from one foot to the other and back again. “the shadows came to stay, my lord, stay my lord, stay my lord.” he jerked his head with each word, the bells in his antlers ringing up a clangor.
- wherein patchface predicts the red wedding:“fool’s blood, king’s blood, blood on the maiden’s thigh, but chains for the guests and chains for the bridegroom, aye aye aye.”
in a lot of his little jingles, patchface talks about being "under the sea", like he was for the three days where he was dead. some examples:
- "it is always summer under the sea."
- "under the sea, you fall up."
- "here we eat fish, under the sea, the fish eat us."
- "under the sea no one wears [crowns]."
- "under the sea the crows are white as snow."
- "away, away, come with me beneath the sea, away, away, away."
there seems to be a direct correlation between the sea and death; especially since this is where patchface died and, we can assume, was given back his life, or a shell of it, by the drowned god. and since he has such accurate predictions, i think it’s safe to say that, following this line of reasoning, patchface has become a prophet of the drowned god.
so i guess we have reason to get freaked out by this:
"i will lead it. we will march into the sea and out again. under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming."
following the relationship between death and the sea, it seems to be that what patchface is saying is that he will lead people to their deaths, only to have them brought back to life. i know it can’t only be me who immediately thought of the others — especially when the “mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming,” which could either a) reflect the ten blasts signalling white walkers for the night’s watch, or b) be an allusion to the horn of joramun. either way, patchface, the prophet of the drowned god, has a clear association with the others.
which brings us to another question: how does patchface mean to bring an army to their death, in order to lead them as white walkers? well, let’s talk about greyscale:
greyscale is born in a cold, damp climate; somewhere by the sea, or perhaps in the sea itself. the wildlings in particular fear it; they say that those who survive it are “unclean” and that it is never dormant, and could become active again years after it stopped spreading the first time. shireen baratheon is the most prominent character, but others have had it too — jon connington is dying of it, and harlon greyjoy, brother to balon, crow’s eye, victarion, and aeron damphair, died of it as a child.
so what does this mean? it means shireen is literally like a biological weapon or something. patchface, who most likely brought the illness upon shireen in the first place, being of the sea and such, would have control over the greyscale, being a prophet of the drowned god. he can use this control to make the greyscale become active again, spreading to any group of people he chooses in order to lead them as a risen-again army.
so what does this mean for shireen? when you have a weed, you need to pull it up by the root. when you have a problem, you need to get to the source of it in order to fix it. in this case, the source of the greyscale would be shireen. "i had bad dreams," shireen told him. "about the dragons. they were coming to eat me." shireen is 1/8 targaryen, so even if she doesn’t have important prophetic dreams, they are still something to take into account. it may be that the stone dragons she knows from dragonstone have come back to “eat” her in the flames, her death being a direct result of patchface’s “stone” (greyscaled) army. it would also explain mel’s vision of patchface surrounded by skulls, lips red with blood.
so what does this mean for all of team dragonstone? if we are to go ahead and accept the possibility of a sacrifice of shireen, this could mean many things for team dragonstone.
- shireen’s greyscale really is the root of the problem, and with her sacrifice patchface’s army of others falls
- shireen’s sacrifice is the king’s blood mel has needed all this time, and it will give stannis the power he needs to overpower the others
- shireen is stannis’ nyssa nyssa; she is the personal sacrifice he needs to make to temper the sword lightbringer and defeat the others
so, conclusion: patchface is a deranged general of the others, the drowned god has some majorly dark objectives with unknown motives, and shireen is basically by far the most important pawn in the entire game of thrones, and as soon as people realize that, some major shit is going to down.
- the meaning behind my url: its my fool’s name
- weaknesses: i’m immortal so none
- last time i cried and why: oh oh oh
- favorite band: my band; shireen and her fool
- top 5 foods: seawater, seafood, tears, blood and fear
- tattoos i have: a green and red patch on my face
- tattoos i want: none
- biggest turn on(s): fear
- life goal(s): #1 singer in westeros
- favorite movie(s): n/a
- a fact about my life: my songs come true
- fears: none